It’s nerve-wrecking to speak in tech conferences, especially if this is your first attempt. First off, we as PyCon community like to emphasize that we are all for inclusive culture. In other words …
We are all awesome. You included.
– weareallaweso.me –
If you are still mulling over whether you should do it, here are some reasons why:-
- Self-branding – I have nothing interesting to say! Find something you care about. Your background and experience are unique. Know your worth, tell your story.
- Build a local community – But I am an introvert! It’s not about you (well, not all of it). It’s about sharing your knowledge with others and diversity – especially if the topics that are important to you were mis-represented or under-represented.
- Get Exposure – Conferences are where you meet interesting and amazing people you’ll never have meet in your network. Enough said.
Here are some quick tips:-
- Start small – try 10-minutes Lightning Talk first, then slowly move on to longer talk / workshops.
- Seek out feedback from others and learn from it.
- Watch previous PyCon on YouTube for inspiration BUT do not get intimidated. Just do your thing.
- Check out speaking.io for really good tips !
- If you want more practical tips, read How to be a better speaker at Tech Conferences or How and Why to Speak at Tech Conference
- If you want something motivational, read 10 Things I Wish I’d Known About Giving Good Tech Talks
What can you talk about?
- Deep dive on a specialty
- Production / experimental pet projects / experience in the pasts
- New trend or technology you care about
- Propose a solution to a common problem
PyCon MY is happening from 25 August to 26 August 2018 at University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (our venue partner).